‘True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist.’
– Albert Einstein –
All of us have an inner creative genius. The only difference is that some of are connected to it and embrace it and some of us don’t.
I was incredibly creative growing up, I loved to write, sing, dance, act, paint, draw, I played the flute . . . the list is endless. However, when it came to choosing subjects to study at school, as much as I wanted to study absolutely everything, I ended up selecting those that were more ‘academic’ or ‘studious’. I was then put into a box which was labelled ‘non-creative’ because I hadn’t studied the creative subjects at school.
Does that mean that my intuitive and naturally creative tendencies and abilities disappeared? No. Did they get lost and forgotten? Yes. Have I been able to re-discover and reconnect with them? Yes.
We all have a creative talent that lies somewhere. I might be in an obviously creative area like writing or painting or music. Or it might be something slightly more lateral like renovating houses or creating magical travel itineraries as a consultant. Either way we all have an inner creative just waiting to be expressed through us on the wall of life.
As I was walking to the LA Hub (a collaborative co-working creative space) today in LA’s Arts District I walked past a fair amount of street art that inspired me.
I love the fact that these people took the time to express and share their creativity on walls, so that people could be entertained and inspired by it whenever they walk past it. Just imagine if these people had decided not to paint on these walls and share their amazing artist talents? The walls would be plain and boring without them.
So, what creativity do you have inside of you that if you shared it on the wall of life, other people would be inspired by it or find joy in it?
I’m giving up This whole lie, this whole me Call it out like a family Instead I bide my time, get a ride Until the rubber leaves the road
You said don’t lie so I made the truth Seemed like a lie to even you Control your fear. It’s clear That you do not know where you’re going to
– Matt Corby –
So I’ve been here in LA for 6 days now and I have 3 left. It has been the most amazing trip so far, and I know that there are still some very wonderful times to come.
I came out here on a feeling. If you were to ask me for a logical or rational expectation as to why I felt the need to leave Sydney for LA, I wouldn’t be able to give you one. Some would call it a wild goose chase, others would say I was following my intuition. Either way, I’m really glad that I came.
Here are some of the photos that I’ve taken while I’ve been here.
Venice Canals – Venice Beach
Sunset at Santa Monica beach
Marina Del Rey
My beautiful friend Adrian took me on a hike up into the Hollywood Hills to see Griffith Park Observatory yesterday.
Amazing art that I saw being exhibited at the Arclight movie theatre last night by Andrea Fellers
Only in LA. I was walking behind this guy who was dressed in a gold sequinned Elvis catsuit with his pushbike walking along Sunset Boulevard earlier today. Awesomeness.
The most amazing Portobello Mushroom burger that I had earlier this evening at the Sprouted Garden Cafe/Cowboys & Turbans, which is a combination of both a deliciously organic & vegan restaurant and Indian Street Food in the area of Silverlake where I’m staying at the moment. Apparently it’s where all of the hipsters live. 🙂
I have already had some wonderful experiences (as you can see), met some very lovely people, and made some fantastic connections that I know will be helpful to me in my life. How and when I don’t know, but that is irrelevant.
I have also had some time to reflect and gain further clarity on some things in my life, which I would like to share. I started writing these down as I was having dinner earlier tonight at the most beautiful organic, vegan restaurant on Sunset Boulevard, and I’d like to include the list here.
1. I love my boyfriend very much. It’s true that I have missed him while I have been away, but not in the way that I have missed other boyfriends in the past. I have missed him, but without attachment. And moreover, I love him so very much for supporting me with the feeling that I had to come to LA from the beginning, around a month or so ago. Never once did he question why, or what for, he just simply supported me. And when I asked him initially if he thought I was crazy to feel the need to go based on my intuition, he simply replied that if I felt the need to go, I should go. I am so very grateful and blessed for his unconditional love and support.
2. I love yoga. I have only recently started getting back into yoga after having a bit of a hiatus for quite a few months. I started doing yoga a week or so before I left and I have kept up my practice in both Marina Del Rey (at the Yoga Nest) and now while I’m here in Silverlake One Down Dog at . And I must say it has been so transformative for me. Not only has it helped me to feel good on the inside and out, but it has helped me maintain a calm, peaceful and loving state of mind and help me to create the space needed to receive everything that the Universe has been giving to me while I am in LA, without me getting in the way.
3. I have the feeling to go to India next. Once again, don’t ask me why, but I feel as though that is the next country that I need to visit.
4. I’m very grateful for all of the wonderful case study examples that I have come across here in LA to use in the book I’m writing on conscious brands. I feel as though I’m surrounded by conscious companies that are doing so much good in the world.
5. I’m excited to start a new conscious clothing project. It’s taken me a few months to build up the courage to start this, but when I get back to Sydney I’m reading to kick things off big style.
And so, my thought for you today is this, are you following your truth in life? Are you letting you heart guide you or your head? Is there are feeling that you have inside of you to do something or go somewhere that you have been ignore? What’s the worst that would happen if you decided to follow that feeling and do what feels true for you? What if there was no good or bad, no right or wrong? How would you make decisions differently?
My goal for every day at the moment is to be as loving, joyful and peaceful a being as I can possibly be. And show gratitude for every wonderful moment that I experience, while following my truth on this incredible planet we call earth.
Sending you lots of love, hugs and light,
Kat x x x
Inspiration for this post
Los Angeles, Califorina, USA
Matt Corby – Resolution – Live at the Enmore Theatre, Sydney